|By (author):||Sweet, Melissa|
|Subject:||JUVENILE NONFICTION / Biography & Autobiography / General|
|JUVENILE NONFICTION / Biography & Autobiography / Literary|
|JUVENILE NONFICTION / Books & Libraries|
|JUVENILE NONFICTION / Language Arts / Composition & Creative Writing|
|Publisher:||Houghton Mifflin Harcourt|
|Size:||8.83in x 8.75in x 0.63in|
|From The Publisher*||ANew York Times Bestseller |
SOME PIG," Charlotte the spider's praise for Wilbur, is just one fondly remembered snippet from E. B. White'sCharlotte's Web. InSome Writer!, the two-time Caldecott Honor winner Melissa Sweet mixes White's personal letters, photos, and family ephemera with her own exquisite artwork to tell his story, from his birth in 1899 to his death in 1985. Budding young writers will be fascinated and inspired by the journalist,New Yorker contributor, and children's book author who loved words his whole life. This authorized tribute is the first fully illustrated biography of E. B. White and includes an afterword by Martha White, E. B. White's granddaughter. "
|From The Publisher*||In this stunning, first-ever fully-illustrated biography of legendary author E.B. White, Sibert medalist and Caldecott Honor winner Melissa Sweet uses White's letters, photos, and mementos, as well as her original collaged art, to tell the true story of one of the most beloved authors of all time.|
|Review Quote*||* E. B. White is such a fixture in the children's literature landscape that it's hard to think of him as a regular person. Fortunately, Melissa Sweet comes to the rescue in this individual, creative, and thoroughly artistic chronicle of the noted writer's life."|
-Bulletin, STARRED review
* "An excellent guide to the life of a celebrated writer."
-Publishers Weekly, STARRED review
* "Like Charlotte, Sweet spins a terrific story. A masterful biography."
-Kirkus, STARRED review
"Melissa Sweet's beguiling biography of the author ofCharlotte's Webdeserves to be savored by anyone who has ever loved White's words."
"An E. B. White biography like no other."
"Whether the name E. B. White is a new discover or a much-loved author,Some Writer! will captivate readers of all ages."
-Christian Science Monitor
* "Drop everything and share widely."
-School Library Journal, STARRED review
* "Sweet raises her collage skills to new heights while bringing her love and admiration for fellow Mainer E. B. White to the page for everyone to appreciate. Just as her astounding collages blend materials that might have been found in a barn in Maine, the text carefully blends her words with those of the beloved writer of children's books… Sweet has written and drawn a fast-moving, thorough, deeply researched, and accessible biography."
-Horn Book, STARRED review
* " This beautiful piece of bookmaking with enchanting artwork will easily draw in young readers, and the warm account of the adored author will keep them turning pages."
-Booklist, STARRED review
"What elevates this book to the stratosphere is the art. Practically glowing, it turns a very fine biography into something original, creative, and marvelous."
|Biographical Note||Melissa Sweet is the Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator of many fine children's books includingBalloons Over Broadway, a Sibert winner, andThe Right Word andA River of Words, both Caldecott Honors. Reviewers have described her unique mixed-media illustrations as exuberant," "outstanding," and "a creative delight." Melissa lives on the beautiful coast of Maine, not far from E.B. White's famous barn and farm. In addition to writing and painting, she enjoys gardening, hiking, biking, and cross-country skiing. For more information about the author and her work, visit www.melissasweet.net. "|